If you’re a business owner looking for some creative contest or marketing ideas, you’ve come to the right place. Here’s a secret: If the media is talking about it, so are your customers. Play into what they are interested in with some creative marketing promotions. Here are some marketing ideas that you can use for September that will make your business become a customer magnet.
- Labor Day– Big promotion opportunity here. Have a Labor Day Sale; contact a local news outlet with your Labor Day story idea.
- Back to School–Anything back to school is hot during this time of year. Ideas include: Back to school clothing, technology, jitters, social media, school lunches, lunch boxes, commercial food in schools, school routines, bullying, cyberbullling and more. Pitch a story to the media, have a contest, or even put on a sale around this theme.
- Football Season- Americans love their football and with the NFL strike over, the interest in football is at a high. Play to their interest by having football themed events. Proclaim your place of business as the “Official (or unofficial) headquarters for purchasing, eating, etc., of your favorite NFL Team. Put together favorite team – inspired promotions. Restaurants can have viewing parties, favorite team-named menu items or even contests. (I.E., if the Cardinals win, you’ll save 20% on everything red in the store, Monday only.) The opportunities to build buzz here are endless. Don’t miss out. (Note: Please pay attention to trademarks and copyrights before using any logos, photos, or other representations of the NFL.)
- 9/11/11 – By no means am I making light of the events of September 11th, 2001. However, the media and virtually everyone else in America is going to be talking about it. This is an opportunity to celebrate America, remember the people who died on September 11th, and those who died in the rescue efforts. Perhaps you can put together a promotion to give back? Be sincere and sensitive in what you do on this day and you’ll set yourself apart from the crowd.
- Baseball Season Ends, Playoff Season Begins- September 28th is the official first day of the MLB playoffs. If you’re in an area with a team in the playoffs, don’t let this opportunity slip by.
What other creative marketing ideas do you have for September? What have you done? I would love to hear from you. Comment here and you will be entered in a drawing for a free copy of my book, “How to Build Buzz for Your Biz.” Contest ends August 22nd, 2011.
- 7 Creative Holiday Marketing Ideas
- 5 Tips for Running Fan-Tastic Facebook Contests