Comedy Legend Joan Rivers passed away today at the age of 81. She had gone to a Manhattan clinic to have minor throat surgery on August 28th, and it appears that something went wrong, causing her to go into a coma.
Joan Rivers was a pioneer in the entertainment industry and a master of marketing.
Rivers learned early on that in order to succeed as an entertainer she had to differentiate herself from everyone one else in the industry. Her style of humor was frank, irreverent and often politically incorrect, especially for women entertainers starting out in the mid-1960’s. Rivers was often chastised for her style of humor. But in response she said that she just said what other people were thinking but were afraid to say.
Rivers said “Life is so tough. I don’t know how old you are, but I’ve seen so much in a wink. One phone call and your life is changed forever. We all know that. You better laugh at everything.”
Here are 10 more Joan River’s quotes that will make you chuckle.
1. “I’m not afraid of death. My father was a doctor, I was around death all my life. I mean I was very used to it because he was a sh….. doctor.” Joan Rivers Returns to the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon
2. “It’s too late for getting older. I mean on my bucket list, number one is wake up!” Joan Rivers returns to the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon
3. “You know why I feel older? I went to buy sexy underwear and they automatically gift wrapped them.” Joan Rivers on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson
4. “Age… and it’ll happen to all of you! The body drops….my breasts…. I can have a mammogram and a pedicure at the same time!” Joan Rivers Live at the Apollo, Part 2
5. “I have no sex appeal. The only way I can hear heavy breathing from my husband’s side of the bed is when he’s having an asthma attack.” Joan Rivers, 1982 Television Appearance
6. “Housework is stupid, you do the dishes, make the bed, and six months later you got to do it all over again.” Joan Rivers on the Carol Burnette Show 1974
7. “Everything is falling apart……. except for my face, which I’ve had lifted so many times I wear my earrings on my kneecaps.” Joan Rivers, I Hate Everyone…Starting with Me.
8. “I’ve been the public lifted face of cosmetic enhancement since the Stone Age. My luck was to realize earlier on the degree to which looking good helped my life and my career- and to start having work done early too.” Joan Rivers in Men Are Stupid and They Like Big Boobs
9. “In the old days before cosmetic surgery, the secret of staying young was simply to die early.” Joan Rivers, from the book, Men are Stupid And They Like Big Boobs
10. “At my age an affair of the heart is a bypass!” Joan Rivers Returns to the Tonight Show With Jimmy Fallon